Tuesday 21 May 2013

#150: Westmalle Dubbel

Another Belgian was on my to-do list, especially considering it's one of the last remaining Trappists I've yet to try. I've had Westmalle's Tripel before, so it was time to give their Dubbel a spin.

Like all Dubbels, it pours a dark red/brown colour, with a small head that dissipates fairly quickly. Unlike all other Dubbels (in my experience), there's a strong yeasty, bready, banana smell at first. When you dig in you'll likely find some dark fruit and toffee malt, but really it's the lighter, brighter, almost floral aroma that dominates. The taste returns to more familiar malty, fruity territory though, but with a light bitterness and a warming spiciness to the finish really livening it up. 
It's tasty, but perhaps not as satisfying or richly textured as others of the style. I'd recommend it to try, by I think I'll fare better with the Rochefort 8 I have on standby.

No comments:

Post a Comment