Friday 4 January 2013

#112: Rochefort 6

For my second (and regrettably last) post from Sneem, I present the other beer I brought with me, the Rochefort 6. I'm a big fan of the 10 and 8 from this brewer, so I was excited to try this for the first time.

Rochefort 6 pours a dark hazy amber (despite how dark it looks in the photograph) which is pale by comparison to the other two in the group. The aroma is absolutely gorgeous, with sweet red berries dominating at first. It's borderline sour with the yeast moving around, but when it calms down the warm malt and dark fruit really open up. Unfortunately the taste doesn't quite match the standard of the aroma, with the malty, nutty toffee fading into a mildly fruity finish. The carbonation and alcohol lend a harshness to the finish that suggest to me that this beer might benefit from a little aging to mellow itself out. Surprising, considering the active carbonation and higher alcohol content of the other two beers are far form detrimental to their drinking experience.

I may have a particular bias towards the Rochefort 10 and 8, but even so, this beer doesn't really hit the mark for me. The aroma alone is enjoyable enough to make it worth a try, perhaps somebody else will fare better with the taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment