Wednesday 18 April 2012

Beer Review #14: Black Sheep Ale

This one's been on my wish list for quite a while. Like the Old Peculier, I bought it in Tesco, for just under €3. As such, also like the Old Peculier, it's slightly more expensive than I'd expect this kind of beer to be. Still though, it's a respected ale and it's got a nice drawing of black sheep on the label. I'm simple like that. Anyway, this one's from Yorkshire too, and at 4.4% it's gonna be nice and light.

English Pale Ale/Bitter at 4.4% ABV

L: Pours a nice bronzed amber with moderate carbonation and a two-finger off-white head. Leaves decent lacing too. Looks good. 8/10

S: Really sweet smells here - chocolate and toffee/caramel, definite hint of bubblegum or candy. Some nice biscuity bready notes, quite malty, and with hints of fruit. Overall complex and inviting. 9/10

T: Sweet at first with toffee and malty tastes coming to the fore, slight hoppiness (?) in the middle, and long bread or nutty aftertaste. Not quite matching the complexity of the aroma but very tasty nonetheless. 8/10

M: Light bodied with a bit of fizz, smooth and very drinkable. 7/10

The verdict: This is a good beer that I probably would recommend. I'd like to try this one again too, as well as sample the other beers from Black Sheep. Chief among those (for me) is Monty Python's Holy Ail [sic]. I don't think I need to explain why this appeals to me. 8/10

The Drunken Destrier score: 80/100

No comments:

Post a Comment